Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Well, you can't dictate the way, the way I'm gonna feel...No matter what, no matter what I'm forced to see...I'll be the one free of jealousy

I went to Barnes & Nobles yesterday. I was there for almost 4 hours. Yes. FOUR hours. Started off in their Starbucks cafe. Purchased an iced venti vanilla soy latte. Yummy! =) Then I was off to do some reading. The fashion magazines easily take up most of my time. Then it was on to books about Paris. Then to the self-improvement section. I spent more than I would have liked to...but whatever. Here's what I purchased:

Berlitz French Phrase Book & Dictionary
Eyewitness Travel Guides: Paris
The Success Principles: How to get from where you are to where you want to be (By Jack Canfield)
The Modern Girl's Guide to Life (By Jane Buckingham)
Lucky Magazine, May '08

Why I bought these books:

My hubby and I are planning a trip to Paris for this September (maybe October) and I really need to start reading up on the city and learn the language. You have NO IDEA how excited I am for this trip. This is something I have been dreaming of for YEARS. =)

As for the Success Principles book...I have so many different things that I want to accomplish and I need some advice...motivation...to get off my ass and make it all happen.

The Modern Girl book...well I've been wanting that book for awhile now. =) I'm such a frickin' girlie-girl.

Lucky Magazine is like my little monthly shopping bible. I love that magazine.


Lately I've been finding that I am more-than-ever obsessed with fashion. I always go thru phases with stuff that I'm interested in. But this one has really hit me hard and I just feel like living in the town that I do is just holding me back in some ways. Take for instance a couple weeks ago. I went to a nightclub that is owned by an 80's/90's rockstar. The whole theme of the place is aimed around the type of rock music he played. Okay, now for the fashion part. I had seen a picture of a very fashion forward girl online in her blog and loved the outfit she had on. I decided to recreate the outfit and wear it out that night. Basically the outfit consisted of a white deep v-neck tshirt (untucked), a short blue demin vest (worn open), some longer chain necklaces, a few bangles, a fitted black mini skirt, black tights and black knee-high stiletto boots. The outfit itself was pretty basic with the colors being black and white. The denim vest was definitely from the late 80's, early 90's. I thought it looked good. =) A girl and her boyfriend standing behind me at the bar didn't like my outfit so much and...laughed at me. Mmmmhm. Okay...seriously...WTF? They were standing a matter of INCHES away from me and were looking directly at me (more so my vest) and snickering to each other. %$#@& It seriously took everything in me to not punch them both right then and there. I quickly reminded myself that I was dressing for ME, not to please others. This is my problem with fashion sometimes. Okay...wait...it's not with FASHION...it's with the area I live in. If you don't dress like everyone else, you're a weirdo. But who the fuck wants to look like evvvveryone else? I've always been the kind of person who will like a trend, but won't really wear it until the trend has passed a bit. I'll never stop wearing something just because some people think it's out-of-style. If I like it and it fits me and looks good on my body, I'm wearing it for a long time to come. Or I might stash it away and wear it again in a couple years.

I have a feeling I need to live in a place that is more accepting of peoples' individuality.

Yes...definitely.

1 comments:

Scott said...

Embrace the snickers I say. And I say only because I can't do :P